About

OPENING HOURS:-

Farmshop : 9am – 5.30pm Mon- Sat (9am – 4.30pm Sun)

Coffee Shop: 10am – 4.30pm (Lunches 12am – 2pm) *currently closed to Government guidlines.

Holy Cow, Organic whole-milk vending: 24hrs – 7 days a week!

Jonathan & Anwen Hoskyns

Land on which our orchards grow has been in the Hoskyns family since the 1740’s when Jonathan’s ancestor William Hoskins, first started purchasing land in the area.

The first orchards were planted in 1930 by his grandfather Henry (Hal) Hoskyns, to provide employment in the village in a time of depression. Bill Hoskyns, Jonathan’s father, ran the farm from the late 50’s to 1990. Jonathan returned from farming in Kent in 1991 and has run the business since then.

Jonathan and Anwen met in Kent and were married in Anglesey in 1994 and in 1996, gave birth to identical twins Harriet and Isabel.

Hal and Bill had built the farm shop in 1970 to sell their own farm produce, at that time consisting of apples, vegetables, milk, cheese, cider and apple juice. Business was good in the the 1970’s but the arrival for the supermarkets in the 1980’s meant the beginning of the end of seasonal produce and the popularity of on farm purchasing.

Instead, Bill started a nursery and the farm shop morphed into a plant centre. Profits were thin and he decided to sell the business at the end of the decade. The 1990’s saw the business flourish into a small garden centre under different ownership, while still selling produce from the farm and functioning as a basic village shop.

By 2005, the small garden centre trade had been eroded by the large chains of stores in much the same way as the supermarkets had taken trade from farm shops and green grocers in the 1980’s.

It was time for another change and in March 2007, the business returned to the farm and Anwen took over managing the farm shop full time the following year.

Following a modified business plan, the farm shop now sells not only our own farm produce but also showcases produce from friends and neighbouring farmers and producers in the local area. Development has been steady but continuous. 2012 saw the addition of a small coffee shop and 2019 was the arrival of Holy Cow Organic and 24hr vending of their organic whole milk and associated products.

%d bloggers like this: